Thursday, October 15, 2009

audiobooks

I've never really liked audiobooks. I think the last time I listened to one was when I was about 12 and just getting into Harry Potter (by which I mean I was in the early throes of full-blown obsession). After I read all the books available, I needed MORE! So I checked out the audiobook versions from the library and would listen to them around the house and at night before I went to sleep. I remember it being very relaxing. As I got older, though, I guess I lost patience for being read to. Part of me also feels like listening to an audio book shouldn't count as reading. But right now I am taking a Library Assistant class out in the suburbs, and because of the time of the class I end up having to drive about an hour and a half in boring-as-hell rush hour traffic to get there. I hate the radio and I'm sick of just listening to music, so I've decided to give audiobooks one more try.

Right now I'm trying to load Augusten Burrough's Dry onto my iPhone for today's trip, but if it doesn't finish syncing soon, I'm gonna have to go without. I picked Dry because I'm doing a long and crazy awesome challenge on Goodreads and I need a book that has a one-word title, a book that starts with a D and a book that deals with issues of addiction, and this book is a triple threat! I can fit it in a variety of tasks for the challenge, which gives me a little more flexibility. So come on, iPhone! Hurry the hell up!

In the meantime- what are some really good audiobooks? Books that just really WORK in this particular format?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a big audio book fan, and I always borrow books on cd from the library, copy them onto the computer and download them to my IPOD. Not positive about what type of books you like most?? Some of my favorite audio books have been: Art of Racing in the Rain; Stein; The Neighbor; Lisa Gardner; Unaccustomed Earth; Lahari; Olive Kittridge; Strout ; The Commoner; Schwartz; all od Chelsea Cain's thrillers: Heartsick, Sweet Heart (her new one is Evil at Heart)...hope this helps...Oh and for something funny: David Sedaris: Dress Your Family in Corduroy!!

    ReplyDelete