Wednesday, October 21, 2009

the outlander series

A few years ago, I began reading Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I really liked the books, although I remember being annoyed by a few characters and that the series seemed to get bogged down somewhere, and that by the time I finished The Fiery Cross, I needed a break before reading A Breath of Snow and Ashes. Unfortunately, the break never ended and I still haven't read it, and now An Echo in the Bone is out. Damn.

So I re-read plot summaries of the first two books on Wikipedia, but I still don't feel prepared to read the sixth book. I think I am going to have to re-read the whole series if I want to read on, and I definitely do. According to Amazon, this is a total of 6,882 pages in mass market paperback format, not including the newest novel, which is a hefty 832 pages in hardcover. So, in other words, I have a LOT of reading to do.

I wonder if there are any other readers with the same predicament as me. Perhaps an Outlander challenge is called for? We could have a year to re-read the whole series and by then the newest installment will probably be out in paperback! I'm a super new blogger with just one follower (hello, Diane!) at the moment, so I don't know if my challenge would attract much attention, but I think it would be fun.

7 comments:

  1. I have not even read the first book Outlander, so don't be too hard on yourself...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like Outlander much, to be honest. Does the series get better?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great stuff about the Outlander series. There are a few series I've had trouble with reading and had to go back and read them again. Your not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm popping by to offer some cheering! Not sure if you're participating, but just in case: read! read! read! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whatever, you do, try and pace yourself. I read all the first four books in two weeks last year (my sister asked me to do it for her Christmas present so we could gossip about them) and I read them so quickly that I forgot parts--and had to go back and read them again.

    Good luck! I'd love to read about an Outlander challenge.

    Connie @ Constance-Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just realized that your last post was in october, so i really hope you are just taking a break and that you have not stopped blogging
    cu

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am 1/2 way through the first book in the series. I really like it so far...only a couple irritating spots.

    http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete